Monday 25 January 2010

Time and Tide

My body is running away from my mind.
The realisation is very unkind.
There's no way to catch it; it's far out of reach
and free-falling headlong into the breach.

Somewhere in childhood, or not far beyond,
my brain is awakening, looking around,
Absorbing the wonders that hold out their hands,
longing to travel their soul-stirring lands.

But just as my brain is beginning to wake,
my body is out of control with no brake;
tumbling quickly, quite out of control,
to where it will finally split from my soul.

And somehow, my brain is left far behind,
beseeching my body to wait for my mind -
There's so much I still want to do and to say,
I want to be useful, to travel, to play,

I want to learn languages, study and sing,
So many books, so many things,
But somehow my body, though adequate now,
Wants to stop sliding, and doesn't know how.

So it keeps running away from my mind.
It's all very normal, but oh, so unkind.
There's no way to catch it; it's far out of reach
and free-falling headlong into the breach.

No comments:

Post a Comment